Some simple tips to keep you safe when buying cars online.
If you find a car you want to purchase in our Free Car Classifieds make sure you follow some simple steps to ensure a happy and safe transaction.
Firstly, be aware that not everyone is honest. If a private car seller comes up with excuses that don’t feel quite right, such as they can’t provide their license for you to check, or they want to complete the handover in an unusual location (such as a shopping centre car park), be extra cautious.
It’s also a very good idea to get a vehicle history check before you hand over any money.
Online Car Buying Tips;
- Make sure the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) matches the relevant paperwork.
- Look for strange marks or scratches on the dashboard VIN plate or sticker inside the driver’s side door.
- Check for car documents where the VIN looks altered.
- Be alert for multiple VINs on different pieces of paperwork.
- Look for the seller’s name not appearing on car title or registration.
- Have a trusted mechanic inspect the vehicle.
- Ask plenty of questions about the cars history and try to get as much info on the cars past as possible.
- Be sure to get all the original and any copied keys/remotes.
- Always see the car in person before completing any part of the transaction.
- Get receipts for any money that you have handed over.
- If it doesn’t feel right, don’t go ahead with the transaction.
Got any other tips you would like to share on how to safely purchase a used car? Send us an email via email@example.com or send us a note via our Contact page.