MINI could have a high-performance car to offer buyers in coming years after confirming it would be unveiling this MINI John Cooper Works GP Concept at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show.
Sitting above the regular John Cooper Works variant, the concept follows on from similar performance models brought to the market as limited edition offerings in 2006 and 2012.
The 2017 version of the MINI John Cooper Works GP Concept was inspired by MINI’s success at the Monte Carlo Rally half a century ago.
At this stage though there is no official confirmation that the concept will go into production and MINI has given us no info around any mechanical enhancements.
MINI John Cooper Works GP Concept Key Data:
- Features extensive carbon-fibre body kit, including front and rear aprons, and side skirts
- 50:50 weight distribution
- Black Jack Anthracite paint with Curbside Red metallic accents
- 19” Racetrack lightweight wheels
- Stripped down interior with no rear seat, headliner, or door trim panels
- Roll-cage, five-point belts, emergency cut-off button and steering wheel mounted paddle-shifters
“The MINI John Cooper Works GP Concept is all about the unfettered feeling of driving and levels of performance found in motor sport competition,” says MINI boss, Peter Schwarzenbauer.
“This is driving fun in its purest form.”
Stay up to date with the latest MINI News at behindthewheel.com.au.