Most lemons play-up within a month
Ever had a car that just wasn’t right? A car that made sure you were on a first name basis with your mechanic or dealership service manager?
Despite car production being a lot more consistent these days, you still can be unlucky and end up with a ‘lemon’.
And if you do get the keys to a troublesome car, chances are you’ll know about it quickly.
That’s according to a new study out of the U.S. that has found two-thirds of lemon cars show symptoms of problems within just a month of purchase.
The survey was conducted by YourMechanic and involved more than 500 respondents.
Of those car owners who reported they had purchased a lemon, the key findings included:
- 72% of lemon cars weren’t the subject of a third-party pre-purchase inspection
- 65% of lemon cars came from a dealership
- More than 60% of lemon owners spent $5,000+ (USD) on the faulty vehicle
- 15% paid more than $20,000, up to $50,000, or more
- 68% of lemon cars started to show signs and symptoms within a month of purchase
- 36% of car owners noticed symptoms within a week
Ever owned a lemon car? Please feel free to let us know about your experience in the comments section below.