The annual Caravan Club Towcar of the Year Awards have been announced in the UK and it was the Volkswagen Passat Alltrack that was declared the best vehicle to tow a caravan with.
The awards pitted 47 different models up against each other with the entrants split into seven price classes and two weight categories.
Each towcar was then thoroughly tested, both for on-road characteristics with a caravan on the back, and also the suitability of the vehicle to meet caravanner’s needs, such as how well it accommodates a typical load of holiday gear and caravan essentials.
2017 Caravan Club Towcar of the Year 2017 Winners:
- Vehicles priced under £20,000 - Citroën C4 Cactus Rip Curl BlueHDi 100
- Vehicles priced £20,000 – £23,000 - Peugeot 308 SW Active BlueHDi 120
- Vehicles priced £23,000 – £29,000 - Skoda Superb SE L Executive 2.0TDI 150PS
- Vehicles priced £29,000 – £32,000 - Volkswagen Golf Estate Alltrack 2.0TDI 4MOTION 150 PS
- Vehicles priced £32,000 – £35,000 - Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack 2.0TDI SCR 4MOTION 150 PS
- Vehicles priced £35,000 – £45,000 - Mercedes-Benz E220d AMG Line Saloon
- Vehicles priced over £45,000 - BMW X5 xDrive40d M Sport
- All-Wheel Drive Under 1800kg – Volkswagen Passat Estate Alltrack 2.0TDI SCR 4MOTION 150 PS
- All-Wheel Drive Over 1800kg - BMW X5 xDrive40d M Sport
Taking out the two category wins and the overall award for 2017, the judges hailed the Volkswagen Passat Alltrack for its towing competence.
“One of the classiest mid-range cars by a mile… it simply oozes competence.” They added: “It pulls away strongly and exhibits excellent flexibility throughout the mid-range.” The judges said.
The Volkswagen Passat Alltrack is priced from $49,290 in Australia.