The Korean manufacturer has made leaps and bounds in Australia and still has plenty more to achieve in our market.
In their vehicles, Kia offers quality, a wide range of tech and features and great value for money.
Here are a few quick tidbits you may not have known about Kia Motors:
- Kia was founded in 1944 and is the oldest car manufacturer in South Korea.
- It started out manufacturing steel tubing and bicycle parts by hand progressing to motorcycles, trucks and eventually cars in 1974.
- In 1962, Kia produced South Korea’s first truck the K-360 which only had 3 wheels
- Kia Motors is partly owned by the Hyundai Motor Company
- During the 80s and 90s, Kia used to be in partnership with the Ford Motor Company
- The name Kia is derived from Chinese characters and roughly translates as ‘Rising out of Asia’
- Kia produces and supplies military grade vehicles to the South Korean Army
- Since 2002, Kia has been the major sponsor of the Australian Open tennis tournament
- Kia Motors also sponsors the Essendon Football Club in the AFL
- Aside from South Korea, Kia has manufacturing plants in China, the USA, Mexico and Slovakia