Boat trailers, car trailers, caravans and the like have been left behind by new technology that has been added to our cars in recent decades.
Now, trailers towed by passenger cars/SUVs are also about to get a whole lot safer.
Bosch tell us they will have a new trailer safety system ready for the Australian market early next year.
The technology includes ABS and sway mitigation.
Known as Trailer Safety Control (TSC), Bosch tell us the system has been designed to work on caravans and trailers equipped with electric brakes.
Bosch Trailer Safety Control Key Data:
- Developed and tested in Australia
- Expected to help cut trailer related incidents by up to 45%
- Will be available as an aftermarket retrofit
- System automatically intervenes when instability or wheel lock detected
- Designed to help make towing safer and less stressful
- Includes Electronic Control Unit, motion sensor, and wheel speed sensors
- ECU to be manufactured by Bosch in Melbourne
“Despite the end of volume passenger car production in Australia this year, Bosch Australia’s 200 strong automotive engineering team is busier than ever,” said Gavin Smith, President of Bosch Australia.
“Trailer Safety is a great example of how to apply existing capability to an adjacent and attractive niche with global potential.”
Related: How to choose the best boat trailer
We’ll bring you more details on the new trailer safety tech as it comes to hand.