In most cases, changing, or having your cars oil changed, is as simple as following the guidelines set out in your cars owner’s manual.
But there are some factors that you might want to consider and that could see your car benefit from more frequent oil changes.
These situations/environments include:
- If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving (trips that are less than about 15 kilometres).
- Doing a lot of driving in dusty conditions or on sand.
- Extended cold weather operation.
- Extended high speeds (can be a factor for cars in regional Australia).
- If your vehicle has to idle for extended periods, for e.g. delivery vans/trucks.
- If you tow a trailer/caravan regularly.
And don’t forget that a new oil filter at each service is also some pretty cheap insurance.