There’s a new-generation Kia Rio landing in Australian dealerships now, prices again kick-off from $16,990.
Reporting from the Australian launch of the 2017 Kia Rio, I will bring you a first drive review of the new model tomorrow.
We can however report on the nuts and bolts of the new model, an offering labeled as a “very important car for us” by the head of Kia Australia, Damien Meredith.
Powered once again exclusively by a 1.4 litre engine, power and torque figures are down slightly on the superseded model (thanks to stiffer emissions regulations in Europe) with new outputs of 73kW/133Nm.
Transmission choice also remains the same - 4-speed auto or six-speed manual.
While there will also still be three model grades in the Rio line-up - S, Si and SLi.
- Introduction of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard
- Reverse camera now standard across the range
- Sat-nav standard in Si and SLi
- Digital radio standard in Si and SLi
- Rear USB charger
- Increased external dimensions
- Larger cabin with up to 8mm of extra legroom
- 10% larger boot space (325 litres)
Kia tell us the new Rio drives and rides better thanks to a new stiffer body shell and redesigned suspension.
While road noise and engine noise levels are also said to be down on the previous model.
2017 Kia Rio Australian Pricing:
- Kia Rio S Manual - from $16,990
- Kia Rio S Auto - from $19,090
- Kia Rio Si Auto - from $21,490
- Kia Rio SLi Auto - from $22,990